Meet Winnie!

Hello,


I'm Winnie Guan and I'm majoring in Visual Communication Design. In my free time, I like watching YouTube video and find inspiration for graphic design on Pinterest. Also, I do concerned about political and social issues.

Bill Moggridge is the one that inspires me in design as the quote he stands. 


"Good design begins with the needs of the user. No design, no matter how beautiful and ingenious is any good if it doesn't fulfill a user need. "Bill Moggridge, IDEO 

A good design does not care about the gorgeous appearance and packaging, but about its practicality. It is convincing to me because I have been imagining that design is like art and be a designer who is full of fantastic ideas during my childhood. But after I chose to design major, I found that design is different from what I thought. The definition of “others”(users) is constantly enriching, the design is to serve those "others." Designers are to be free of me, forget personal preferences, and make objective and fair to meet the needs of all "others."

In terms of design as a career, I would like to do informational graphics or other designs for environmental or social issues areas. I think that knowledge and concerns about our environment and social issues are important to human life and the future. That's why I have a passion in the area. 

Six keywords that would describe me would be optimistic, friendly, introverted, careless, calm, open-minded.

Inspiration: 3 pictures that represent my vision
      

Comments

  1. Hey Winnie, I never knew of Bill Moggridge before your classroom introduction! Thanks for teaching me a thing or two so early on in our summer term! Looking forward to hear which organization/cause you might employ your visual comm. background to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking forward to working with you, that quote was inspirational and I would like to read more work from Bill Moggridge. I would like to collaborate with you on the graphics part of my project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, really like your quote about good design and how its need to fulfill the user’s need instead of just focusing in aesthetics. I also like the fact that your are thinking about social issues and the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Winnie, Welcome to DES 505 Senior Design Project. Looking forward to the successful development of your designated creative research project. Please update your BLOG with your Critique Review of the Past 505 Project Reports, & Your Three (3) designated 505 Project Topics+Problem/Purpose Statements - Thanks!

    Prof. Gomes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Winnie, I too agree that design should be functional and practical. It can look beautiful but does it fulfill the needs? Sometimes we get tunnel visioned a lot and forget the needs of others which is why research tends to be fun for me. As for informational graphics, I think you'll love this section on Reddit called /r/coolguides! Let me link it for you: https://www.reddit.com/r/coolguides/

    Hope it inspires you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts